God has a purpose for everything, right? He has a purpose for the rain. The moon. The stars. Even our lives. (Read The Purpose Driven Life.) But what could God possibly have had in mind when He created cockroaches? These hideous critters carry germs and diseases. Some buzz. Some even fly. They multiply eggs by the thousands and attempt to infest homes all over America.
They are downright nasty too. I mean, have you ever met anyone who “likes” roaches? If a roach had a Facebook page, would anyone “like” it?
Well, years ago in college, I stumbled on what I believe to be five (5) answers for the “Purpose Driven Cockroach.” I was spending the night at a friend’s house. An upperclassman. She had moved from the dormitory to a trailer not too far from campus. (Upperclassmen rarely stayed in the dorms.) My friend was asleep. Snoring. And there I was lying in her pull-out guest bed in the kitchen/living room. Wide awake. Staring at the ceiling. Just thinking. When suddenly out of nowhere appeared three long-legged hairy spiders! Yep, three. And they were crawling the walls.
Mind you, I knew exactly what kind of spiders they were. Huntsman spiders. You see, they are commonplace in Lakeland, Florida. But despite seeing them all the time, they still spooked me out. As these spiders paraded around the ceiling, the “what ifs” began running through my mind. What if the spiders crawl into my bed while I’m sleeping? What if my mouth is open while sleeping and one of them crawls in my mouth? What if one bites me? What if they spin a web around my face? What if…
And before I could get to the next “what if,” I was startled again. This time by a roach. You gotta understand, where I lived in Florida, roaches don’t just crawl, they fly! Certain ones. They spread their wings and get to buzzing and they can take flight. I have chills just thinking about it. So here I am, half past midnight watching a horror movie of spiders and roaches in full effect.
My eyes stayed glued to the roach as he carefully crawled up the wall. I may have prayed at this point. Something like, “Dear Lord Jesus, please don’t let the roach fly. Please don’t let the roach fly.” And that’s when it happened. One of the spiders lunged forward and landed on top of the roach! I was so freaked out. I mean, here are my two least favorite insects, one on top of the other. And that’s when I realized the spider was eating the roach! And then it became clear to me. One reason why God created roaches. And as I sat contemplating that one reason, other reasons came to mind. Here they are…
Possible Reasons For Cockroaches
- The food chain. Apparently roaches make a nice snack for huntsman spiders! And they’re food for other critters too I’ve learned.
- They Motivate Us Clean. It’s true! People living with a roach problem typically don’t leave food out, keep dishes washed, and take trash out quickly. After all, who wants roaches? Nobody! Oh, wait. The spiders want them. But you know what I mean.
- They Show God’s Creative Side. Roaches show God’s glory. And His creativity. Think about it. Only God, the greatest, ultimate Creator could come up with something like a cockroach. As undesirable as they are to most of us, if you really think about it, roaches quite fascinating. Look them up in Wikipedia and you’ll see what I mean.
- They Show God’s Sovereignty. Just the simple fact that humans can’t get rid of them (i.e., 100% extinction from planet Earth) shows the sovereignty of God. Hey, if God wants roaches around, then dog-gone-it, there’s nothing we can do about it. Man has tried (unsuccessfully) to eradicate them from the planet. Kind of like the killer bee that continues to reproduce themselves despite man’s best attempts to wipe them out.
- They Make Good Sermon Illustrations. Yep, sermon illustrations. Preachers can compare roaches to many things, making them “allegorical” (say that 3 times fast). I did a Google search on roaches and “sermon illustrations” and actually found quite a few.
So there you have it! Now you know why God (possibly) created roaches. If you have other suggested reasons as to why our sovereign Lord and Savior created these hideous things, please leave a comment.
A Little Roach Humor
A housewife called up a pet store and said, “Send me thirty-thousand cockroaches at once.”
“What in the world do you want with thirty-thousand cockroaches?” asked the astonished clerk.
“Well,” replied the woman, “I am moving today from my apartment and my lease says I must leave the premises in exactly the same condition I found it.”
So tell me, why do you think God created roaches? Do you like spiders or roaches? Add your comment!